Tuesday, January 24, 2012

The Return

Long story short: I will not be returning to my job.

I have a million thoughts.  I want to control everything - most of it out of my control.  Like.. I want to go back and get a career where going part-time can happen.  How long I will stay home - what will happen? What will it be like in summer? When Hilly is older? Should I pack my work clothes? But mostly I just feel relieved  I don't have to go back to that terrible place and I'm thankful I can finally be with my babies more than 2-3 hours a day.  I don't feel guilty giving time outs, I don't feel guilty during tantrums.  It feels like a million pounds lifted and I'm super happy.  My mom and MIL piss me off by suggesting all these types of law that I would like and blah blah blah- and it is still a secret from my Grandma- but I just want everyone to shut up (in a nice way).  Luckily, J has been really supportive and also feels relief.  I think he likes not living in the pig sty we were living in when we both were la*wyers.

ANYWAY,  Hilly is still sleeping in our room and as she's almost 5 months that should probably change.. but her room has morphed into a place for boxes and Good Will donations. So I have some serious recycling to do today which blows. 

In other news I caught some crazy virus from the 2 year old pictured above that resulted in hives everywhere, including the palms of my hands and the soles of my feet.  So Hilly was sleeping through the night as I was plodding downstairs at 2AM desperately seeking an antihistamine in our cabinets, only to find Dayquil (antihistamine-free). 

Alright, I have to give a certain someone a bottle and then start tidying up before I decide that another nap is in order.  I still have hives on my feet, but they are worse at night.  Why is that? 

2 comments:

AnnaLe said...

Good for you! Do you have Hand Foot and Mouth? Awful name for symptoms like you describe. It's kinda rare for grown ups to get it, but I caught it from my nephew. Lame. Hope you feel better!

Mec said...

Sounds like hand foot mouth to me, which is a crazy virus for a grown up to get. Henry had it and I have some good tips on treating it if it moved to the mouth for you or the kids. Now on to the staying home thing... It was a really hard transition when I first left my job but in the end it turned out to be the greatest gift to myself and my children. I have never regretted it for a single moment. I feel so thankful that I was able to do it. I'm excited for you! Enjoy yourself and try not to worry about stuff!