Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Wedding Weekend.

I have a few moments before the computer lab opens & I get to finish my paper on the Establishment Clause, so I figured I'd take a minute to reflect on how long this winter actually has been.

On the weekend of October 17, 2008--- over 4 months ago! -- J& I went to a wedding in Carmel, CA. It was FREEZING when we got on the plane, and WARM when we got off in CA. When we returned it was even worse.

I know that I've told at least one of you about the worst headache of my life, so real quick: We went for J's friend's wedding. It was a fun wedding- a buffet & definitely one of those situations where you didn't take enough food (or the plate wasn't big enough) or you didn't realize that you should've taken those weird looking potatoes at the beginning of the long buffet line because that was the only starch offered, etc... and you feel awkward going back for seconds because nobody else is and, besides, you're more in the mood for another glass of wine? Yeah, that was me.

Wine turned into Captain & Coke. But that was really it- there were no shots, I don't recall drinking a beer even . It was in this weird venue in the woods and supposedly there was "transportation back to the hotel every 15 minutes. " Yeah right. It was LATE (there was no end time on this wedding) and J & I decided to go. 20 minutes later we are walking through the woods looking for transportation, a street, headlights, ANYONE. We couldn't find this alleged transportation anywhere. So we re-traced our footsteps & figured we'd wait until we saw someone else leaving (we didn't want everyone to make a big to-do and beg us to stay). 2 hours later, we are still there.

I have no idea how we ultimately ended up in this limo back to our hotel but I know I got stuck next to some kid who talked my ear off while I watched J passed out in the seat in front of me. I wanted to sleep too. Unfortunately, we were on the "long" limo ride that was doing someone a favor and taking them to a location 20 minutes in the opposite direction of the hotel. The driver asked us if we would mind-- what was I gonna say? Yes, A LOT?

Anyway, we get home, I suppose, because I woke up in my dress on the bed to J saying, 'M, we gotta get going. We're gonna miss our flight.' I have not had that feeling of, 'ohmygod, I have to get up NOW???? I wanna die!' since 9th grade when I had to catch my bus at like 6AM. Or when I was in high school and used to work the breakfast shift at Friendly's and had to be there at 6AM and it was dark out and wintertime.

I sat up in bed and simultaneously felt like someone smashed my face in with a lead pipe. Never have I felt that much pain. I told J I literally couldn't get up & he packed our things so I could get more sleep (God bless him). He soon gave me the final wake up call reassuring me that all I had to do was put sweatpants on and climb into the car. I literally crawled to the bathroom to pee. Crawled onto the toilet. I sat on the toilet and began to pee and then it hit me: I was gonna puke. So mid-pee, I stop peeing and just turn around and start hurling. J came in and held my hair back. My underwear was still around my ankles. Ladies & Gentlemen, it was not a pretty sight.

Anyway, it ended up being the world's longest day of traveling. We got home to the freezing East Coast, much to my dismay. The next day I looked up real estate in Carmel, CA-- 1 house was for sale & it was 1million. Boo. Anyway, I think J deserves a husband award for his performance that weekend.

No comments: