Sunday, June 19, 2011

27 weeks!

Happy 27 weeks!  I should go upstairs and take a belly picture, but I just cannot drag myself off of this couch.  I mean, I have a beagle passed out cold to my right, heavy eye lids and a golden resting on my feet.  I am having trouble blogging lately bc I am still recovering from Memorial Day- the sight of my computer makes me sick (dramatic, I know.).

My friend from Oklahoma that I studied abroad with is currently in Ira*q.  J and I were watching this documentary the other night about Thai bar girls (hookers).  This particular Canadian documentarian found a bar girl who would "show him a glimpse into her world" - it was obvious he wanted to bang her as well.  But, in his defense, it seemed like he also cared about her on some level.  He interviewed this guy at the bar she worked at who was British (I think), wasted (for sure) and a motherf*cking pervert - oh, and also a teacher at some international school there.  Pret-ty disturbing.  He was talking about what great h*ead the one Thai girl gives. 

My point:  This guy reminded me so much of this other guy I studied abroad with named Chris.  He was from an ivy league school- I wish I could remember his last name- and he was really shallow and full of himself and just generally thought he was better than he actually is.  The only other thing I remember is that his dad was a dentist and that his parents by chance met the Clintons when they were visiting Chris in England.  His mom talked to Madame Clinton about her book that she had recently written.  But he reminded me of this pervert teacher on the documentary.  And I emailed my friend in Iraq about it.  And we had a good virtual laugh.

And then we had a good laugh about how our bank accounts had like $3.00 in them and- without a care in the world- we would use that $3.00 to go buy ourselves a beer. 

Anyway, my college roommate and I drove to Ch*icago to meet up with 2 of my best guy friends from studying abroad.  We smoked we*ed I think the entire ride out because, well, we were 21 and in college and it was a long a$$ ride.  But... as a direct result... I have absolutely no recollection of the drive.  Other than at one point I recall looking up and seeing a sign that pointed in the direction of Wisconsin and thinking, "So Wisconsin does exist." And then thinking immediately of That 70's Show- wasn't that in Madison?  But that's all.  I know we drove straight through.. and when we got there it was light- bc I remember my 2 friends meeting us outside.  I think.  I need to share notes on this experience with her to get my facts straight. 

Anyway, we had the best time- we saw a Cubs game, then went to batting cages drunk, then went to some crazy club after pre-gaming in someone's fancy apartment, then we did the typical touristy stuff.  But what I always admired about my friend was how much pride he had (and probably still has) in Chica*go.  Dude- he LOOOOVES his city.  So much pride.  I find this with a lot of people who live in Chi-town. 

NYC is different.  NYC is just aloof.  The pride doesn't often come across as love- it often feels like, 'We're better than you.  What.'  But maybe that is just my sh*tty NYC friends of yore.  The love Chicago people have for their city that I have witnessed  felt pure.  Maybe they were just nicer.

That said, both cities are too cold for me. And NYC is so freaking convenient- a bodega on every corner? Yes, please.  And I am apparently really attached to living close to my family and friends, so they're both too far away - esp Chicago.  NYC isn't too far, but actually getting onto that island is an expensive hassle.

Everyone was like, 'Being pregs in summer will really suck.'  And while yes, it's hot sometimes bc it is hot sometimes outside, I'm definitely preferring summer pregnancy to winter. Winter involved a lot of layers on an already expanding body.  Not cool.  A sundress pretty much takes care of business.

No comments: