The girls' parents are on vacation, so they've bounced around this week to grandparents', friends, etc.. The older one was sick, so on top of being exhausted, I'm fairly certain the 7 yr old will be too.
7 y.o, through dramatic tears: "I don't want to pack my sleeping bag!!!!!!!!"
me, unaffected: "Don't. You don't have to."
7 y.o: "Then WHAT will I SLEEP IN!!!!!!!!??????????????????"
me: "You said they had blankets there."
7 y.o.: "I WOULD pack it but I just can't CARRY IT!!!!!! WAAAHHH!"
me: "I'll carry it."
7 y.o.: "No you won't!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
me: "umm.... I will."
Sweet, blessed 10 y.o. sister interjects: "A, M will help you. I will help you too."
7 y.o. "SHUT UP I HATE YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I DON'T WANT TO GO TO DANCE!!!!!!!!!"
me: "You don't have to go to dance."
This went on for about.........I dunno.............an hour. I didn't start directly addressing her until about 45 min in when we had to pack their overnight crap & get to dance (I was dropping them off at a friends afterwards).
Right before we left I realized I didn't unpack the trash from their lunches that day (the chaos distracted me). This takes 30 seconds on average.
me: "Oh, guys- your lunches. Where are they?"
Older one hands me her lunch & the younger one chucks it.
me: "Chill."
7 y.o. "OH GREAT!!!!WAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! NOW WE'RE GOING TO BE EVEN LATER FOR DANCE CLASS!!!!!!!!! Because YOU didn't unpack our lunches!!'
I was now officially wondering who the f*ck this girl thought she was.
me, still calm: "You don't even want to go to dance, so what do you care if we're late?"
No response. Sweet. Before we did leave, though, she attacked her sister about 40 times, still screaming, crying all the way (downgraded to whimpering, thank God). Occasionally she'd humor us with an intelligent insult: (10 y.o: "Oh, look at that dog! He's cute!" 7 y.o.: "No, he's not. He's ugly." me: "A, nobody asked for your opinion.")
We were like 20 min early. I just knew that once she got into dance, her mood would switch. I hate to admit it, but I totally pulled this type of emotional trash as a child- although not to babysitters.
She was 100% fine after dance. Jovial even.
No comments:
Post a Comment