I've learned that many babies aren't into cuddling. That would be the opposite of Monkey. Last night at 9:25pm she turned 6 wks old. As I type she's passed out cold on my chest- on her belly, face buried into my chest, one arm laying above her head & the other tucked into my armpit. I like this position bc I can easily smell & kiss the top of her head. Or wrap my arms around her warm little body. Even when she's stinky & smells like formula, I think she smells wonderful. I tried to put her down for a proper nap like 5 times today so I could do laundry or go running, but each time she wakes up in 5 minutes. She only wants to nap on me. I surrender. I now understand why mothers are the least reliable witnesses for a defendant in a criminal trial.
So that lawyer in NYC. He was a solo practitioner but shared an office & occasionally work with a small law firm. He was about 45, Jewish, and newly married. He also had Parkinson's. He wasn't a mean-spirited person or anything, it's just that there were a few things he said/did that in retrospect were inappropriate.
Example: He often called cars for me (as opposed to making me hail my own cab). I worked late one night & we were waiting for our respective cars in the building's glass vestibule. My car pulled up and he said, 'Eh... what the hey! Let's just make one stop tonight!' This statement confused me, so I said, 'What?' And he nervously laughed and said, 'Haha, just kidding. Maybe if I was younger.'
I still don't really "get" it. I mean.. did he want to hang out w my roommates and I, assuming we'd be partying? Or was he, like, trying to bang? Umm.... I don't get it. I always hoped the former.
Example: For the summer I was living with Derek & T (female). He constantly made statements about how lucky of a guy Derek was. This always bothered me bc Derek never hooked up w either of us girls... and he didn't want to (well, except on my last night in NYC when he asked if we could please have s*x now that I was leaving NY- I said no. I was never really attracted to him & I'm almost positive that he's selfish in bed... in which case... what's in it for me?). Anyway, he made this comment to his law clerk w a sort of creepy pervert laugh at least 3x a week.
Example: One time I was walking by him in a tight space and the back of his hand brushed against my a$$ & he, like, didn't quickly move his hand.... or move his hand at all. That was weird.
See what I mean? Like, he wasn't creepy enough for me to realize at the time that he was being creepy. But in retrospect, I see that I was a young college girl & his hand shouldn't have been anywhere near my a$$... in real life, there ain't no accidental a$$ grabbing... particularly without a quick withdrawal of the hand & a sheepish and sincere apology.
But, alas, no harm no foul I suppose. I just feel bad for his wife. I did at the time too- he would always take his time getting to work in the morning, be very unproductive all day long and then decide to "get some work done" at like 600pm-- at which time he'd beg me to stay late to work with him since I "helped him focus." His poor wife would call from home at around 6:30, wondering when he would be home. She ate dinner alone like every night.
For their first anniversary he bought her an expensive watch. On his computer I saw the note he printed out to go with the watch. It said something along the lines of "this watch represents the timelessness of my love for you." Shizzle... lose the watch and eat dinner w the gal, ya know?
But he didn't cheat or anything with other women. I had full access to his emails, cell phone, etc.. His ex-gf contacted him once. She was an NYU grad student and a painter. She emailed him a picture she had painted of his naked back. He showed it to me, but acted like it wasn't his back, but I knew the truth. He never responded to her email. Her name was Jen.
Since I left NYC, his wife gave birth to a son.
No comments:
Post a Comment