Friday, August 6, 2010

Update

I vow to get my own computer soon.

So the orthopedic surgeon seemed to think everything seemed fine at this point but they want to check up on her in 10 months. But J & I aren't entirely convinced because something really does feel uneven or off. And once you notice it, it's really difficult to NOT notice it. So it wasn't a situation where we were like, 'GREAT! Didn't think anything was wrong, now I can stop worrying." It was more like, '.........Ok..... if you say so.....' I plan on keeping an eye on it to see if it normalizes, so to speak or if it worsens. At the very least we at least know that her vertebrae are formed correctly. Poor monkster- I'm digging at her back every chance I get.

In other news, I volunteered to legally represent children under the age of 10 who have no parents or parents who are neglectful or abusive. I was assigned my first child today- he was born June 23, 2010 to a drug-addicted mother who has since disappeared on the streets. His father told the state that he cannot care for the baby, and nobody can get in contact with any other relatives. I meet the little bugger on Wednesday. I am SO EXCITED. It'll probably be a really easy representation- I'll check out the foster parents' home, meet the baby & determine that the baby is in fact safe, etc... That will be good for the baby. How sad is this situation? The next time I get down about things that are surmountable or begin to pity myself, I have to think about this little guy. Absolutely all odds are stacked against him, and here he is. No relatives to coo over him, no family friends bringing him gifts, nobody excited about his birth, nobody staying up half the night worried that he will fall victim to SIDS and stop breathing, nobody fretting about whether they are putting him at a disadvantage by not breast-feeding him until he is 17.... I asked J if we could adopt him. J responded, "Are you f*cking crazy???" J likes to play the tough, heartless guy. But I know once J laid eyes on him, he would feel differently.

No comments: