The fall always reminds me of shot gun weddings. I may or may not have written about the one and only shot gun wedding I had the luxury of attending in my day. It was the glorious fall of 2005. The most broke I've ever been.
I bought a dress on sale for $34 to wear to this splended event & it was the first wedding J & I attended together. I was in serious obsession with J at this point (I still am, but - you know how delightful the newness of a relationships is...). Back to the point: It was an okay dress & I borrowed shoes from my friend Jen. The bride we all knew was pregnant & the groom- well, let's just say that the groom, while he has since become Mr. Mature Dad and Husband- a mere 5 months prior he was painfully single- I'm talking strip club, hooking up with undergrad and anything that moves- single. But, I digress, weren't we all? :)
So anyway, this was an exciting wedding. Niether the bride nor the groom told anyone about the pregnancy, but J was in their study group at school & she was regularly throwing up in the bathroom everywhere (school, J's apartment, her apartment, restaurants, etc...) & they were engaged and married within 2 months. The writing was on the wall.
The weather was trash and there was like a 5 hour time difference between the ceremony and reception and J had a mid-term the following Monday, so he studied in between these 2 events. So I guess, all in all, it may have been one of my least favorite weddings ever.
Midway through the reception, the bride's dad stood up and said "We have a special announcement." The room fell eerily silent & I swear- there was a collective gasp. Nervous eyes made eye contact across the tables. J nudged me under the table.
The bride's father continued: "We have a special guest here with us tonight."
ANOTHER gasp- was he going to welcome the fetus to the wedding??!!!!
And then- someone burst through the reception doorway with an inflatable version of her high school's mascot. This was the guest of honor the bride's dad was talking about.
The disappointment in the room was palpable. I swear. Nobody laughed, as we were all recovering from what we thought was going to be a pregnancy announcement at this couple's wedding.
Anyway, they have 3 kids now. J rarely talks to the groom anymore, but I'm dying to know the gender and names of these kids (only out of curiosity- I really really did not know this couple). He attended our wedding (she was at home giving birth) and then they had another baby at the same time that we had Monkey.
My drink at the time was gin & tonic.
No comments:
Post a Comment