So yesterday late afternoon, the H*llster started crying inconsolably, which is something she never does. She barely even cries. She grunts, I give her food and she is once more cool as a cucumber. After 2 hours of this, I consulted my 20 month old and determined that we should call the on-call doctor. As H*lls is just getting over her first cold (her and everyone else in my life), I suspected an ear infection. The doc said to take her to the ER since she is so young. I call J, feed Monk, pack H's things, remove the mascara from beneath my eyes, put on my finest sweatpants and packed everyone in the car for what would surely be an eventful evening.
After not to much waiting (young babies are apparently seen first, which makes sense), we got in and the doctors were unable to find a cause. Her ears were fine. They wanted to do all this crazy testing (spin*al tap, etc..) and we said "Not yet" to most of it because... because. I don't know. What if she was just having a bad day? What if she is secretly just becoming colicy? I have no clue. But my ear hurts and I'm still not sure we made the right decision. But I spoke with my pediatrician this morning and he thinks I did, so that makes me feel better. But my ear still hurts. In fact, it has hurt for 6 weeks- the age of the baby. When I don't get enough sleep, my tonsils and ears always ache. Why didn't anybody remove my g-dd-mn tonsils when I was young? Those things are the size of golfballs, I kid you not. Every time a doctor is like "Open wide" and I open my mouth, without fail he or she will comment that I have the largest tonsils they have ever seen. Well, they are also sore about 99% of the time. I'm about to rip them out myself. Can you tell I need sleep? My mom is hear watching the kiddos so that I can nap, not blog. But I really wanted to blog about the doctor last night.
So this isn't really interesting, but there was this pediatrician who looked exactly like an older version of someone I knew in college who was pre-med. She was a roommate of a friend of mine (who I am no longer friends with). Anyway, I don't recall her going through a slutty phase like pretty much everyone else I knew in college. I wonder if she secretly did go through a slutty phase and I just didn't know about it. I wonder if she became a doctor. I hope she did because she is one of those people who I would feel comfortable taking my kids to see. My maid of honor, N, has a new sister in law who is a physician's assistant (or rather studying to be one) and I find it bothersome because she is SO rough around the edges and crude and, frankly, kind of dumb-seeming, that I wouldn't feel comfortable with her diagnosing anything. I mentioned to her at N's rehearsal dinner (N demanded that I chat her up after she noticed that I was being antisocial- which is true, but only because I was really tired.) Anyway, I mentioned to this girl in general that PA's are really in demand- she's going into a good career. She responded, 'Well, there are A LOT of us graduating right now.' She meant at her college. Umm... dude. One graduating class of PAs is not going to meet the demands of an entire economy- and I could tell from her response that that is exactly what she meant. Then I thought, 'Well, she's been studying sciences and maths all this time. Not really courses that force rational thought. Maybe that's why she comes across as so dumb.' Then I said to N, 'Dude, I can't believe she gets good grades. She seems really dumb.' And N was like, 'I KNOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!' And we had a wonderful "friend" moment at her sister-in-law's expense. Then her sister-in-law gave a cute little speech about loving N. Oops.
Anyway, H*llster saw this doctor that reminded me of that really good girl from my college, so I googled her and learned that she was recently married and lives in CA and she looks as pretty as ever and that made me happy. But there was no indication of whether she became a doctor. She went to Georgetown, which is unsurprising because while we were all drunk and making out with boys and each other on Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights, she was studying really hard, but there was no indication of what she studied. I guess I just feel like if you're going to be that sober and serious at school, it should be worth it. Like, if I found out she was a marketing exec I'd be like, 'Well then what was the point of being so studious?' Isn't this messed up? I feel like because I am a mother of 2 daughters I should be like, 'Good for her for not compromising herself!' But I don't feel like my friends and I really compromised ourselves (most of the time. Heh), I just feel like we had a freaking awesome time. That said, I don't want my daughters to have as good of a time as I did.
No comments:
Post a Comment