Monday, May 7, 2012

Chatter Box

This whole bullying discussion, which has slowed down lately, has got me thinking about what a$$holes children are.  It seems like everyone is the bully at some point.  In 5th grade, we had just returned from Disney World and I wore my new Kermit the Frog sweatshirt that said like "Walt Disney World."  But there was this altercation on the playground between my group of friends and this other group of friends from another classroom.  I heard this b*tch say, 'Haha.. Look at M's sweatshirt.'  I was mortified and never wore that sweatshirt again.  I felt so terrible bc my mom would even ask my why I wasn't wearing it.  I was so mad at my mom for encouraging me to get it and also mad at myself for being ashamed.  20 years later, I am recounting this incident on a blog.  So obviously, it was a scarring experience.  I may have even written about this before.  So, sorry if this is a repeat.

As a 30 year old, I have more clarity.  At 10, I don't think a Disney/Kermit sweatshirt is the most cutting edge fashion choice, but I babysat a 10 year old girl when I was pregnant with Monkey, and I don't think there is anything at all wrong with it.  I remember girls were starting to wear make up and big jewelry, etc.. If Monkey or H try to walk out of the house in a tight fitting body suit (vom), big earrings and make up, they're grounded.  I'd rather have my daughters be a bit naive than popular and in style.  Also, the girl who made this comment was an all out b*tch.  I'd known her since like kindergarten and she was never ever a nice girl.  She moved to God-knows-where and was never heard from again... I think either that year or the year after.  She had a crap ton of family problems- I think her family was very broke, only her mom was in the picture and they were going to move in with her grandparents.  So, I mean, who knows what her deal was.

As I've also written here before, I was not always the nicest girl.  I said my fair share of things I deeply regret.  I wasn't one of those sweet girls who was nice to everybody.  I don't know why.  I hope my daughters do not have a chip on my shoulder like I did.  Since my parents were divorced I was dealing with a lot of things beyond my maturity level, and I think that affected the way I related to and treated others. 

So how mad can I be at that terrible girl?  For all I know, on some blog out there on the internet, I am that terrible girl.  I really wish this wasn't that case.

No comments: