Thursday, August 2, 2012

Dual Temper Tantrums

So my absence can be explained by 2 miniature people- the youngest who is turning 1 this week (which I seriously cannot believe- this year went by at lightning speed) and also started to have temper tantrums.  But right now, my little ticking time bombs seem relatively calm and entertained in the playroom, so I will try to write.  I also have a serious effing cold/sinusitis/walking pneumonia that has drained my ability to remember, be fun/funny, exercise, be a good mom, etc... so that's pretty awesome.

Note to self: for Xmas, get Monkey high chairs for her baby dolls.  Right now she's using her baby strollers as high chairs.

So I've been having more neighborly contact partly due to the nice weather (although the 95 degree heat is killing any enjoyment of going outside) and another one of those neighborhood parties where I met more people and also bc my kids like to go outside.

There is this couple 2 doors down and they are both highly respected psychologists and also the nicest people ever.  The woman is a Quaker so obviously she is super nice in that peaceful, Quaker kind of way.  And her husband is this nice heavyset guy who takes his visla to work every day and the dog is never on a leash and just hops in the car with him like a painting called "man and dog."  They have 2 sons, 1 who is my age and is also a l-wyer and is working in NYC at a firm where J's uncle is a partner.  I met him a few summers back while studying for the bar and he seemed gay and arrogant and I immediately thought "I like your parents better than I like you." And his little brother is probably 26 or so and they look like twins- but his brother lives at home periodically and drives a sort of gangster ride, which I always thought was weird.  But I've seen him play with the neighborhood kids and he seemed really genuine and nice.  I also interviewed at a firm for a part time gig (didn't get an offer) and the sole partner's son graduated from the same private school as this kid so he was friends w him (very small city/town). Anyway, at the woman's party I asked her if her son was still studying for his PsyD and she said he was taking a break and then I thought "eh, that's probably not a great subject so I will change it." Well, my next door neighbor (who has become like my 2nd BFF in this hot town) asked if I knew the story with this younger brother.  I had no clue.  J and I always thought he was just a kid who graduated from college and moved back in w his parents and smoke a lot of we*ed.   Living the dream, if you will.  Haha  But seriously, if I didn't have a crap step-dad, I would've done the same.

Apparently he was subbing for his old private school, left in his mom's car (his mom was at her 50th high school reunion) at lunch to buy 19 bags of h*eroin in the slums, pulled over in our neighborhood (near the school) and accidentally OD'd.  The police caught him and he ended up in rehab.  He's had this problem for a long time and has pretty much drained his parents financially and burned a ton of bridges.  He had a brief "career" as a contractor and THEIR neighbor (who I had a drunken convo with for 2 hours after the woman's thing- but not a word about this drama, much to her credit) hired this guy to re-do their steps.  He hired a bricklayer (mason?) to help him.  The mason quit and he tried to do it himself and failed.  Then when they wanted their money back, he wouldn't return it- probably bc it was spent. So they took him to court.  AWKWARD. 

Anyway, my heart really goes out to this family because if Monk or H became addicted to drugs, I would probably be the worst enabler of all time- letting my kids live w me, just hoping that they didn't end up dead from OD or assaulted, etc..

My neighbor told me that his older brother has been dealing w his crap for years and that is probably why he is so guarded.

Well, H just reached over and pulled the stroller down.  Monkey started screaming and smacked H in the head.  H looked at my and burst into tears (an 11 month old's method of tattling).  I never knew that a 2.5 year old and an 11 month old would be able to fight.  You learn something new every day.


No comments: