And thus ends Monkey's first week at daycare.
I hit up a session of arraignments today & a dependency hearing in family court. Ain't nothing quite like that to make you feel like you're on the right path. This little old lady was fighting her bail this morning. Get this- she was charged with armed robbery and three counts of aggravated assault. WHA??? Then in family court, my heart broke. A 2 year old with an 18 yr old mother who was diagnosed as "mentally retarded" (is this term even remotely PC anymore?) & a deadbeat dad (obviously) had been staying w her INSANE grandma. Grandma was on the witness stand. She started her testimony with an assertion that nobody can judge her but God. I felt really bad for this woman. It was obvious that she absolutely loved this 2 year old girl, but she just has an entirely different idea from the rest of us of what a child-appropriate environment involves (a direct result of her own upbringing). Well, it does NOT involve living with a heroin addict and a convicted child molester. During her final statement, she begged the judge through tears- even if she is deemed unfit for custody- please, please allow her to continue to see her granddaughter. I would have felt much worse for grandma if I wasn't 100% certain that the little girl had already been raped by the child molester. I still can't think about this without feeling sick.
Anyway, prior to this, I was feeling pretty down on myself for not making time to work out. Or clean my floors. I left counting my blessings.
No comments:
Post a Comment