Monday, November 15, 2010

Reunion Thoughts

I DESPISE how judgmental I am.

So my 10 yr reunion is coming up and my dear friend The Blind decided to create a website for it. People register and then if they fill out their spouse, occupation, etc..

I'm cruising the names of people I barely remember. And I have the audacity to be surprised at what some people endeed up doing.

For example, one kid wrote something about being a motivational speaker. I thought, 'That surprises me.'

I knew him in 4th grade. We were 9 or 10. He professed his love for me on the playground in elementary school. If we spoke after that, I have no recollection.

I feel like I don't have the right to be surprised at anything he ended up doing. I did not know him at all.

But high school tricks you into thinking you knew these people. At least big high schools. Because you see the same people every day.

But I really only actually knew a handful of people.

I know these aren't novel thoughts, but I find myself falling back into the same pattern and I find it limiting. Even though the thoughts I think are not always negative, I feel like they do not make me a better person.

For this reason, I want Monkey to go to a small high school. So at the very least, there are only 100 people she stereotypes, as opposed to 500.

No comments: