Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Summer Camp

Did I ever detail to you my experiences at summer camp?

Some people (like J) went to co-ed summer camps like in the movies where you make out and stuff. I would've loved that, I feel like.

My mom sent me to all girls girlscout camp. It was the WORST.

We slept in tents with wooden platforms. Had latrines. J's co-ed camp had cabins and like real bathrooms (bad ones, but still... not latrines). Showers were cold.

We had to take turns setting the table for dinner (my least favorite chore). And then we all ate together- this awkward sit down meal. After dinner was singing time.

I went THREE YEARS IN A ROW bc I didn't have the gall to break my mom's heart. She kept telling me I loved camp and then naming the friends I went with. I didn't love camp.

The organized fun.

My sore fingers from archery.

Craft time was the antithesis of creative, as you had to follow the instructions of the person in charge of the craft 100%! There was no creativity. It was like following a recipe.

I found a slug on my trunk.

I threw up one morning all over my cabin floor.

I liked rowing, but who wants to swim in a lake? I saw an eel or snake in the water.

I remember this girl named Tabitha. She wore half-shirts. She was loud and she loved camp and the counselors in turn loved her. I did not.

I remember in the morning being in the polar bears club (big mistake). It was FREEZING. Walking through the woods, all wet because it was morning. Having to wear swimcaps- ugh, I forgot about that until now. That was the worst. How dated. Stuffing your long hair under that thin rubber cap. Pieces get stuck and tugged.

What I wouldn't have given for the community pool, tootsie rolls, the snack bar, my real friends. My own bed, going out for ice cream with my friends, the amusement park.

The "trading post" or whatever it was called- only 2 snacks. One was one of those Mr. Peanut bars. I bought a book of camp songs. Songs that I hate!!!

In the camp pictures, I am never smiling a real smile.

No comments: