As my birthday month is days away, I thought I'd take the time to reminisce on my 27th year.
27 began with J & I at a fancy dinner at a nice restaurant in our old city. Then I took finals.
Since that dinner we purchased a house, got a new puppy, got pregs, got a new water heater, deck, fence, living room furniture, and bed/mattress (no wonder we're broke). On that note, we've also been ripped off countless times, but we're wiser. Oh, and we took a road trip.
Individually, I received the worst grade I received in law school, finished law school, passed the MPRE & bar, & got a new car. I also landed a babysitting gig & subsequently quit. And became an aunt again. Oh, and I threw J a really fun surprise 30th. Subsequent to that party, though, I quickly became an extraordinarily more boring version of myself.
While I consider my biggest accomplishment of the year passing the bar, the most exciting event has definitely been the baby.
Regarding what I'm "thankful" for- as far as this gluttonous holiday is concerned: I'm thankful for a great deal of generic things (family, friends, etc...) but, ultimately, I'm definitely most grateful that I wasn't born in a nation replete with corruption, poverty, & oppression (think... North Korea). All of the positive events I was privileged to experience this year are not testaments to me & my own awesomeness, but to the opportunities already before me due to my lucky birth- I just opted to take advantage of them. If given a 2nd chance, I'd do a few things differently (a diff undergrad major, etc..), but at this point in time I am not eating dirt out of a ditch on the side of the road. I am able to feel bad for myself for ridiculous reasons- like having to wait to start my totally awesome job & for the curtains of my dreams to arrive in the mail, not being able to completely furnish my new house at one time, & being unable to find the perfect decor for our new bookshelf. And this is pretty awesome.
So, in short, I'm thankful that the United States ain't North Korea.
Is it obvious that I just finished reading the biography of Mother Teresa? :)
No comments:
Post a Comment