Monday, May 31, 2010

F-ceb--k Makes Me a B*tch

Like most people, J & I went from picnic to picnic to picnic on Saturday & Sunday. Monday (today) is our day of rest- rest meaning "doing 2 wks of laundry for Monkey, J & I, cleaning the floors, doing the dishes, cleaning the bathroom, catching up on bills, & grocery shopping."

My college room ("N") had a fun picnic that I wish I was able to stay at longer, but, alas, I had a graduation party that my mom was attending, filled w people who graciously came to my baby shower (her high school friends). They had to meet my offspring.

N grew up an hour from my hometown, but she moved to my hometown. I love my hometown, even though I dislike randomly running into people I "knew" from high school. I hate how everyone (myself included) holds people they knew as children to stale stereotypes. For example- I knew a girl in 2nd grade. I played at her house a lot. I will see her out and about and assume I know her. I don't. I only know her name and that she has 2 brothers and that, at one point in time, she liked rainbow bright. That was 20 years ago. And while if we were co-workers or something caused our paths to reconnect, I'd be delighted to actually get to know who she is as an adult. But I don't want that re-connection to be solely on facebook: where we don't post on each other's walls or send personal messages, but stalk each other by looking at one another's vacation pics and ultrasounds. I don't think that is friendship, nor do I think that is actually "knowing" her. It is me, holding her to the same standards I held her to in 2nd grade, spying on her. I do not believe it benefits her, or me. It definitely doesn't make me a better person. I'm sure I've given this lengthy opinion before, but I need to reaffirm it every so often when I'm tempted to return to facebook. It isn't what it used to be- it's grown too large. I am better able to focus on the important things in my life when I'm not on FB.

That said, I do miss being able to b*llsh*t online w people I miss and live far away from yo.

No comments: