Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Minority

While female lawyers are plentiful, my firm employs very few female attorneys with children and my actual office only has one- and she works only part-time. While I was a minority as a plain old woman, I didn't feel like it. Now, I feel like it. If you don't have children, you can stay late, travel with more freedom and generally wh*re yourself out to your firm (and firms traditionally take advantage of this promiscuity). But once you got kids, you can't whore yourself out. Female lawyers without kids are not overall sympathetic to the plight of women with kids. In fact, I question whether it's even possible for the type of b*tch who goes to law school to even relate (or want to relate) to someone with kids. I know I didn't.

The law is largely filled with insanely hard-working people who put everything on hold for their careers. ESPECIALLY at large law firms (which is where I'm employed).

So, I dunno, I love leaving at 5:15 to see Monkey. And if I wasn't allowed, I'd quit. Simple as that. But leaving at 5:15 stresses me out. Because I know not a single other associate has left yet or will be leaving for at least another 45 mnutes-1.15 hours (my firm is pretty laid back as far as big firms go). I hate when attorneys see me leaving. I feel guilty, unworthy of the job, etc... even though not a single bit of my work product has been pawned off on someone else or anything but perfect. But I'm blazing trails in this office, yo. The first full-time female associate to have kids in that office. And being the first totally sucks. I know I'm not suffering the plight of a black person or someone who is physically disabled, but at my lowest moments, it feels like it. And at around 3:00pm this afternoon, I was having a low moment. Woe is me. I wish my chosen profession wasn't filled with a$$holes.

No comments: