I also used to babysit for this family with 2 boys: Dylan & David (who, oddly, are now like 21 and 19). It was a young Jewish family & they were super, super friendly. They lived in my neighborhood, always ate Vienetta, & hung large, framed Ansel Adams pictures around their house. David had a serious overbite.
One evening, I found myself in need of a tampon, so I went into the bathroom & looked under the sink. She had a box full of what appeared to be tampons (long, thin, wrapped in white paper- standard). So I open one up, and inside is not a cotton tampon, but METAL. I wish I had a better visual of it. I decided she might be a robot. I started to panic. Were they spying on me? Would she know I knew her secret? Where was I going to put this opened metal tampon? After examining for an extended period of time, I stuffed it in my coat pocket to deal with later, sweating profusely....& still in need of a tampon.
To this day, I don't know if this is a special KIND of tampon (??), or something to clean out the drain with? If you have a clue: please advise. It's been 13 years, and I remain on the proverbial edge of my proverbial seat.
Anyway, the only other drawback of babysitting for this fam was the fact that she would try to have girl talk with me on the way home. These days, when someone, anyone wants to discuss child birth, periods, cramps, boobs- I'm on board: "How bad are your cramps? Have you ever thrown up? Did you find them to be worse than giving birth? Did you have a C-Section or natural birth? One of my college roommates gave birth in a hot tub! How big are your boobs?" But those days-- I was a bit more reserved. And I felt violated by these talks.
I vividly recall her walking me home at dusk, stating, "And soon you're gonna start going through changes ("& start wearing metal tampons?" I wondered), boys will be involved, and you'll have to start making seroius decisions..." & "Child-birth hurt very badly. Much worse than I thought it would."
At the time I couldn't get away from her fast enough, but these days, I kind of feel like we could be best friends. I'd have a million questions.....
2 comments:
are you sure it was't a vibrator?
there is NO type of metal tampon that i'm aware of or that would be safe for that matter...trust me on that. also, a vibrator is a good guess, but i have yet to hear of individually wrapped vibrators for one time use. and if so, wouldn't they be kept in your bedside dresser? just a thought...
Post a Comment