Friday, June 12, 2009

PMS

Today, I'm grumpy & tired. I felt fine after my coffee. But it went downhill from there.

Remember when you were young and had to live w your crazy mom? Remember how you knew the MOMENT she had PMS? I promised myself a few years ago that I would be (a) rational or (b) self-aware enough to know when I was being irrational & then apologize ASAP. I *think* that most of the time I remain sane & chipper. But sometimes I'll feel myself slip.

For example, J will ask, "M, where are the scissors?" Instead of saying, "In the drawer," I will respond, "Pause for a moment. If there were scissors ANYWHERE in the house, where do you think they might be?" J will pause & respond, "In the drawer." "BINGO!" I exclaim. And I usually don't apologize after this because I feel genuinely annoyed. Is this b*tchy? I remain on the fence.

Another tell tale sign I have PMS is I don't like to be touched by the dogs. Hannah will lay a little too close to my legs & Lou will keep rubbing back and forth on my shins as I sit at my desk. I get the creeps, kick Hannah out of the room & tell Lou to stop touching me.

I am the stuff out of which terrible mothers are made.

1 comment:

Mec said...

Sometimes, or lots of the time, "our stuff" is the product of our mothers. I find it freeing to skirt the blame whenever possible!