Monday, June 15, 2009

I've learned

In my life, no news is not "good news." In fact, no news is usually bad news that you have not yet received. In my quest for optimism, I must remember this.

Back in the day, I worked for some d-bag attorney who hired me "under the table." I was an aspiring lawyer. Yawn. Fast forward 5 years later, I'm about to take the bar. The bar application asks if I've ever not filed a tax return (or something along these lines). As they're looking for honesty, I confessed my transgression & explained that I would file a tax return for 2004 ASAP. I hired an accountant & did just this. Ladies & Gents, it wasn't pretty. I had to pay New York State AND Federal taxes-- A total of about $2500. And this did not include interest. I wrote a pity letter, explaining that I was young & dumb (very true) & did not realize I was working under the table until I never received a w-2 (also true). I moved shortly after I stopped working there because I graduated from college (true) &, as I never did my own taxes before (true), it never occured to me that I had to file taxes DESPITE never receiving a w-2 (mostly true).

Anyway, I hadn't heard from the IRS....until Saturday. I owe another $2000 by July 6. Lucky me, right?

Urgh. I mean, I know I had it coming. But who didn't work under the table as a high school or college student?

I feel very depressed about this financial expenditure. I'm actually contemplating becoming a fiscal Conservative (completely separate from the Sarah Palin & religious right bullsh*t), since Republicans are at least averse to raising taxes... Although, on the flip side, I feel as though I will be needing the Democrats' welfare program, so perhaps I should re-think any drastic change in political party affiliation.

Woe is me.

1 comment:

Mec said...

Unbelievable! Always trying to screw the little guy. You know, there are some people who believe that you can never be totally honest with the government just to give them a taste of their own medicine!!!