3 summers ago (Summer of 07) I worked for a ju*dge for free and for some spending cash I waitressed at a little restaurant with awesome food. J was studying for the b*ar exam and we both lived with the jolly old in-laws.
I was hired at this restaurant on the contingency that I work during the fall. I felt like this *probably* wasn't feasible, but I really needed the job so I rationalized, "Ok. I think I can make it work. Maybe during l*aw school, I'll work one night a week." I subsequently had the best time ever- it was such a nice change of pace from the serious legal world.
The summer ended, though & J and I moved to the nearby city with our darling beagle. I didn't know how to quit so I told the manager I had car trouble and needed a few weeks before I could tell her my schedule and availability to work. I was sweating bullets. Mostly because I really WANTED to keep working there (but knew that it just wasn't feasible) and secondly because I really liked the manager and all the employees and didn't want to leave on bad terms. Eventually I pulled a cowardly move and straight up never called her back. I vividly call standing outside my l*aw school and cringing as I listened to her voice message, wondering why I wasn't calling her back. It was the worst.
She was this super cool chick who is like 6 years older than me. I thought she was beautiful and sometimes during conversations I'd break out into a sweat because I was nervous.
The staff was fun as h*ll. At close, we'd all get our shift drink (I'd grab a large to go cup and basically select the most expensive pinot and pour half the bottle into it and down it as I mopped floors or cleaned up salad dressings, etc..).
Similar to the icky way I left my babysitting gig while pregnant, this exit has weighed upon me for years. It is my unfinished busines. If I died, my spirit would probably end up haunting the restaurant and I'd become a legend: the ghost who quit "on bad terms." Everyone's worst nightmare. Other ghosts would tell me to go get some real problems.
J & I now get take out from that restaurant. He's always trying to get me to eat there or even be the one to pick up the food, but I keep refusing. His response, "M, they won't remember you. You worked there for 2 months."
But what he doesn't know is how good of friends I was with everyone. And he's a guy. Chicks remember each other.
Anyway, I was walking Monkey today in the stroller on the phone with my mom. All of the sudden I hear, "HI! How are you!!???"
Dude. It was HER. The old manager. And she clearly forgot about how we ended things (I'm sure she's since remember and is like, 'Why didn't I ignore her. What a biotch!'). We had a 30 minute conversation about everything- and she was like so excited that we're neighbors and wanted to know specifically which house and wanted us to get together for a glass of wine, etc..
The kicker is that her and Monkey share the same name. God, I looked like such a creep.
That said, I've fallen out of love with her (and I actually didn't name Monkey after her, but the fact that I loved her didn't hurt). I was able to carry on a normal convo. She remembered everything- that I was planning my wedding while working there, in la*w school, which servers I was tight with, etc.. I of course remembered everything about her.
When it ended bc Monkey was getting fussy, she didn't want it to end. I've lived here for 2 years and this is the first I've seen her. I wonder if I'll see her again.
I'm scared!
I ran home to tell Jim 'I told you so.' I knew they'd remember me.
The kind of messed up part is that I still feel like I have unfinished business. I mostly want to be friends with her because I want to unburden my conscience. And a small part wants to be friends with her because she's an old crush. Who am I kidding?
No comments:
Post a Comment