Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Intense

Since Thursday, things have been intense. 

For starters, my good friend Jesus's son (2 months older than Monkey) got a fever that climbed really quickly and had a seizure that lasted almost a half hour.  He was rushed to the hospital during this episode, given medication - which eventually worked- only to fall back into a 2nd seizure. 

The next day I went to visit, fully aware that I may or may not be bringing home something crazy to Monkey but I decided that this was a time to be a good friend.

2 days later, the Monkster comes down with a fever.  The doctor informed me (at 10pm on Sunday I called the on-call doctor) that there's a fever virus going around, blah blah.  So Monday and Tuesday J & I have been swapping going to work, which is hectic.  Unfortunately the in-laws are more of the "keep your sick baby away from me- I don't want to get sick" types.  Ahh well.  I enjoyed the QT with my babe.

Also on Thursday, an in-law family friend died.  I met this woman a few months after I moved to this state.  I knew she had ovar*ian cancer when I met her.  Since she's tight with my in-laws, I sort of expected someone proper and stuffy.  Much to my delight, she was the opposite.  I fell in love with her right away- she was easy going, casual, friendly.  Just simply cool as sh*t.  Since then, our paths crossed a number of times both at the in-laws and out and about.

Anyway, on Thursday she lost the battle she fought for over 4 years.  Her and her husband had one of those marriages that you want and that you hope everyone has.  The priest said that as he was visiting her at hospice last week, he walked into the room and thought he had the wrong room because a man was laying in her bed.  But really, her husband had climbed into her tiny hospital bed to lay with her in her final moments.  This breaks my heart every time I think of it.

Oh, did I mention that since Monkey's fever was gone, I dropped her off at daycare before the funeral and told them I'd be back in a few hours?  They called me an hour later to inform me that she projectile vomited everywhere at daycare. 

So I skipped the burial to pick up the Monkster, got in my sweats and prepared for a hell of an afternoon of trying to juggle work with a sick baby.  A sick and GRUMPY baby.

Anyway, she's in bed and I just finished my work.  I'm going to watch something completely mindless and go to bed.

No comments: