Friday, March 6, 2009

Neighbors

Ahh! I'm totally freaked out.

So I just went to get my passport picture taken for my test tomorrow (you have to attach it to your test ticket), and I drive back. Our neighbor (there's a husband & wife & a 1 yr old kid) is outside with the kid in the stroller emailing on his blackberry or whatever. I slowely collect my things in my car, hoping he goes inside or walks away or disappears because I apparently hate meeting new people (which isn't entirely true... I just felt really awkward, though... at least I wasn't in sweatpants, which is a rarity these days... I put on jeans for the occasion...went all out).

Anyway, I emerge from car, smile at baby & hear neighbor say, "Can you say 'Hi,' B____?" So I take this as my cue and introduce myself. He seems like a perfectly nice neighbor and I learned a lot about his wife/kid/dog- as well as some neighbors. They're all dog people.

I feel pretty abnormal, though. Do other people avoid their neighbors like I do? I'm a pretty social person, but I've never really mastered the whole "friends w your neighbors" thing. Does someone offer to have the other over? Is it just casual mailbox talk? When does this happen? When in the relationship does it stop feeling weird?

I would rather be friendly with them than run from them & they seem super cool. But knowing me and my creepy ways-- it'll be awkward until one of us moves. J & I should've just gone to live on a farm.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

N feels the same way. Especially her downstairs neighbors. I think it is because you never know how much they hear from you house. If I can hear the dude downstairs sneeze and such was do they here me doing?!