Friday, January 1, 2010

2010: Day One

I thought I made it through the holiday proper (Dec 24-25, Dec 31-Jan1) without incident. Until around 3:30 yesterday afternoon.

Background: Honestly, I've been focusing on myself lately-- more than usual. I feel fat, cranky, often depressed, anxious about having a baby, tired, obsessed with how labor will go, worried about everything. Thinking of others is not my current forte. Perhaps that's why I didn't bother to pick up J's favorite foods for NYE like I usually do. Perhaps that's how I managed to insult Evil SIL on the phone yesterday. Although I've never been the most sensitive of people.

Evil SIL called & I mistakenly answered for literally the 1st time in months. She mentioned 5x in the convo that she spent NYE alone at home, drinking & ordering crap online. I purposely didn't say, 'ALONE??? WHY???' or 'That's so sad!!!' Mostly bc I truly don't feel that way- NYE is overrated. And I've been to many NYE parties & thought "I'd rather be home alone watching Sex and the City & eating a bagel right now." So wtf, right? She explained that her friends that were going out were very obviously desperate for a guy, so it depressed her to go out w them. Our convo then began to wane. Exhausted & struggling for a topic, I asked her about that long-distance-dude she hooked up w a few months ago. After she tells me she hopes to meet someone in her current city, I [naturally] say the first thing that comes to mind that I say to EVERY friend regarding dating - "Why don't you try eHarmony?"

Disclaimer: It's no skin off my back if ya do or don't, but why not? I also love hearing stories of people's dates- successful or not.

She didn't seem initially offended, but I tried to change the topic anyway (as her answer was, 'I don't feel comfortable'- which is fine by me). So I said, 'Have you seen your friend Jen lately?' This is where things went awry.

Evil SIL stated (to what appeared to me to be out of the blue), 'I'm under the impression you think I'm super depressed over here.' Ugh. The only thought I had about Evil SIL post-Xmas was, 'Thank God Evil SIL is back in her city & we don't have to see her again til next year.' The idea that she would actually care if I thought she was depressed or not also eludes me- what difference does her brother's wife's lame opinion make anyway? I'm beginning to think I have a low-grade autism where I have trouble relating to others' emotions (or caring to relate in the case of someone I... hmm.. don't care about). Wouldn't she rather have these types of arguments with her REAL friends?

I responded truthfully, "Oh, no. To be honest, I'm sort of self-obsessed right now.... I haven't really been contemplating anyone's emotional well-being other than my own...but I'm sorry if it came across that way."

The convo then got all quiet. I made a half-a$$ed attempt to try & recover, since seeing her again is probably inevitable but then I realized I don't care, gave up & told her I have to go. After I hung up I felt an overwhelming sense of relief.

I told J what happened & he said that I was bound to insult her at some point in the conversation anyway- there was no avoiding it. He then noted that he hoped I learned my lesson & would stop answering her calls. Amen.

While we did nothing for NYE & it was wonderful, we did have our friends & their baby over last night. I made the baby try out all our fancy new baby stuff. Then we all watched an addicting show called the "650 Pound Virgin." He lost his virginity in an orgy. A perfect end to an imperfect day in what will hopefully be a good year. I hope Evil SIL has a good year too, for the record. And for all our sakes, I hope God blesses us by finding her a boyfriend.

P.S. I'd also like to add that Evil SIL is in advertising. On Xmas Eve at around 11pm after we returned from the country club, she decided she wanted to show everyone her latest ad campaign online. When she couldn't find it, she called one of her underlings to have him double check on it. He was on his way home from church w his fam & said he'd check it out. It turns out that the ad wasn't accessible on Explorer- only Firefox. She admitted she "forgot." So as a direct result of either her drunken or sober stupidity, she made this poor, probably underpaid dude work on Christmas. Evil SIL is the worst.

No comments: