Thursday, January 21, 2010

Week 1

Today is the baby's 1 week birthday. As cheesey as it sounds, I feel like I've loved her forever. She's still in the sleepy infant stage, so she's been really really good- let's pray that it lasts!

J is returning from the store shortly w things that we need, but a few notes on my labor:

1. Bless the Lord- I did not tear or need to be cut- so I have no stitches! She was 6 lbs, 10.5 ounces, 20 inches long.

2. I felt like the worst part of labor was not knowing how things would pan out. When the doctor told me it was time to start pushing soon, I started crying- bc I knew this is the part where you either rip or are cut OR the baby isn't "progressing" through the birth canal & you need a c-section. My 2 nurses were the best (1 on first shift, 1 on second). The nurse that delivered was named Katie and she was about 24. There was nobody in the room except me, Katie, & J (this surprised me- I envisioned a much more public affair). The doctor didn't come in til the baby was literally hanging out- he just caught her.

3. I didn't poop on the delivery table, nor did I get hemerhoids (sp? you know what I'm talking about).

4. I also cried when my first nurse told me her shift was over & she had to leave (I was on some sort of narcotic at this point).

5. I did get an epidural - it wasn't that bad. Although I definitely don't think it was awesome. Not being able to feel your body from the waist down is disconcerting. But not as disconcerting as having an IV. I couldn't even look at that thing without wanting to vomit.

6. On that note, I didn't vomit like I thought I would. Although w each new contraction, I knew it was coming on because I felt like I had to vomit.

7. The baby's heartrate drops w each contractions as it makes its way through the birth canal. Even though I was forewarned, it was super scary to hear the beeping sound that indicated her heartbeat dropped below normal. This was a huge motivator in terms of pushing really hard.

8. I pushed so hard I almost blacked out. I didn't moan or make any of those weird noises you make on TV. Your'e not supposed to, either- they want long, steady pushes. Not little pushes that usually accompany grunting, etc... Unfortunately, when I would push so hard I felt like I was going to black out, the nurse would cheer and say, 'Just like that, M. Give me another one- just like that. You can do it!' Early on she said to me, 'M, I feel like you're not pushing hard because you feel like you're going to poop. I want you to know I see everyone's poop. It doesn't make a difference to me either way. I've seen it all.' This actually made me feel better. And, again, once I saw the heartrate thing, I didn't care if I pooped either. But at the end, Katie still said to me, 'You didn't poop!!!' I love Katie. Both my nurses came to visit me the next few days when I was moved to a different unit.

9. I looked down at my vagina that night & saw something unrecognizable. It looked like an inflatable vagina. I asked the nurse if it was supposed to look like that. She said yes & not to look again for a few more days. 2 days later, I looked again & was happy to see that it deflated & looked normal (but didn't feel normal).

10. They gave me Tylenol w Codeine in the hospital. I didn't have the baby room w me bc I was worried she'd be crying & I wouldn't hear her... or I worried that she'd stop breathing & I'd have to call the nurse & I wouldn't know how to call her fast enough, etc...

11. Right now my boobs are as big as a Playboy Playmate. I kid you not. It is incredible. But I still like 'em small.

Thank you for the congrats & well wishes. They really mean a lot. :)

1 comment:

Mec said...

I'm so glad you posted some details. I love to hear other peoples birth stories. It sounds like a perfect delivery. So the big question is her name!!! I was thinking that since your name is only M might not get to know the babies but come one everyone loves to know a babies name. You could send it to me stealth like if you didn't want to post it. Enjoy, rest, eat well, and by god have yourself a glass of wine! I'm toasting a job well done to you!