But here is a picture from last week- I believe at 33 weeks and 3 days. So add a few inches to my belly in your imagination.
Also featured is a mini Monk exploring the depths of my closet, as well as laundry on the computer chair. I try to tidy up for these photos afterall!
Anyway, onwards and upwards.
Remember I've posted about Monk's wide eyes that are crazy to me because nobody in my family has eyes like hers? So a little background.
Monkey really looks nothing like me. Occasionally people will be like, 'Are you CRAZY? Yes she does.' But in reality that's only my friend Jesus and I think its because she thinks she's being nice and sometimes sees a resemblance in her facial expressions, etc... She doesn't have my coloring (red/auburn hair that has curls in it?), she has these super wide set eyes (blogger isn't letting me upload the picture I want to adequately convey these eyes) and she has this super round face- while I was always a peanut head. She may have some aspects of my body, but as she is a toddler with pork chop feet and a cute little baby body, there is simply just no telling at this time. Again, from time to time I see a resemblance in her facial expression but overall the consensus is out that this child and I just do not look alike. And I am perfectly okay with this.
As we know, MIL loves to point out how random relatives have apparenlty gifted Monk with odd traits directly from the heavens. "My great aunt used to LOVE snapping her fingers!" But interestingly enough, there is this one side of her family who she never speaks of- they were the super rich ones and one of her cousins on that side died of a co*caine overdose at some club 25+ years ago. Guess who she NEVER mentions Monk taking after? Them. Similarly, she never mentions Monk taking after J's dad's side of the family either. And J's dad is a normal dude and doesn't constantly bring up Monk's resemblances.
ANYWAY, at the fam reunion J's aunt created this book of old pictures of their relatives. I came across a picture of J's great grandmother- bc Good SIL was angry that her whole life people would tell her she looked like a dead ringer for this [unattractive] woman. I see the picture- and IT IS TRUE, in the eyes at least. This woman has J's thick thick eye brows and absolutely has J's and Good SIL's wide eyes. It was seriously one of the coolest moments of "ancestry" I've ever had. And I know this sounds nerdy but I was so happy to see where Monk's eye-shape so plainly comes from and the stories of her that I've known are even better.
In short, she came over from Ir*eland, had 2 babies and learned that there was a hit out on her brother by the I*R*A. So she took J's grandma as a baby back to Ire*land to rescue her brother. At this time the entire town was being looted by this violent group. She stood in the doorway of this store as this violent group passed by and held her Am*erican passport in the air for them to see and nobody touched her. She finally found her brother who was in hiding and brought him back to NYC where he lived the remainder of his life. I think its awesome that Monk and J look so much like this lady (at least with respect to their eyes).
Anyway, I wanted to be sure to sufficiently bash MIL in some regard after spending an entire weekend with her. And while it shouldn't bother me, she refuses to acknowledge the deadpan resemblance that 2 of her children and at least 1 of her grandchildren have to this woman and it makes me dislike her. In fairness, I do not like to admit that the rest of J (eyes aside) is pretty much identical to his mother.
No comments:
Post a Comment