Driving down the interstate at precisely the speed limit for the first time in my life (before I left I gave myself a pep talk on how virtual unemployment isn't a good time to get a speeding ticket)- I pass a car pulled over w 2 police cars behind it, lights flashing. I briefly considered relocating to the center lane, but I saw a tractor trailer behind me. It was far behind, but I'm TERRIBLE at determining how much room I have to merge/change lanes, etc... so I mini-panicked & stayed in my lane. I was also drinking coffee at the time, complicating matters.
A mile later, a cop is behind me, lights flashing. I pull over, confused-I figured I was guilty for something, just no clue what.
Cop knocked on my window. He was hot. "Miss, do you know what I pulled you over for?"
I burst into tears & shook my head. Real tears. Pregnant, horomonal tears. I felt like I was just sent to the principal's office.
He continued, "We have a law in this state that requires you to change lanes so that you do not occupy the lane closest to the cop that's pulled over."
Through my pathetic tears, I told him I didn't know of that law (100% true). I handed him my license, insurance, & registration. He went back to his car after asking where I was headed. I told him to meet a friend (Maid of honor) for lunch. I didn't tell him I was also going to Target to buy chapstick and some construction paper for my born again christian friend's baby shower. And maybe a reading lamp at Ikea. Lord, save my sinful soul!!
I couldn't believe I was actually crying. I think I was crying bc I was getting pulled over for something other than speeding. I speed ALL THE TIME. I was also crying bc I knew the ticket would be, like, $300.
He returned to the car 5 minutes later. "Miss _______, I'm gonna do you a HUGE favor & let you off w just a warning. Are you going to do this again?"
I shook my head.
"Alright. Drive safely & have a nice day."
5 hours later, I'm relieved that I don't have a ticket to pay. But I definitely feel like I lost some dignity back there.
No comments:
Post a Comment