Today is my first day of baby-sitting the 2 little girls. I'm hoping they don't want to go to the pool. Dude, I'm pregs. And this is my first time. So the idea of me chillin' in my bikini at some random pool w my huge belly hanging out-- not in my comfort zone. Although I did rock it at the beach w my nephew, but I was decidedly smaller over a month ago.
Last night I watched this documentary called The Lost Boys of Sudan. These Sudanese 19-23 yr olds were given refuge in the U.S. and sent places like Kansas and Houston to make it on their own w not much help from the YMCA. It seems like the ones who enrolled in high school did the best, but the entire documentary filled me w sadness. The U.S. is so different and less jovial & sociable than Africa, so they battled loneliness. They ended up staying here, but definitely contemplated heading back to Africa where they were most comfortable, etc... I suppose we all go through such emotions during times of transition, but it was particularly difficult to watch them celebrate w their African friends being chosen to come to America and then subsequently watching them experience hardship. :(
I want to adopt a Sudanese refugee.
No comments:
Post a Comment