Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Hannah ate my Marriage Certificate

For months I've been putting off having my name changed on my passport. No particular reason, just one of those dreaded things.

Today was the day. I was picking up N (maid of honor) & we were going to run errands together. I meticulously wrote out the appropriate checks, filled out the appropriate paperwork, and had 2 new passport photos taken yesterday. I was getting ready upstairs. I descended. Hannah shredded my marriage certificate. It was in pieces all over the floor.

I threw away my wedding dress, to the disbelief of many. I throw away EVERYTHING, including yearbooks (especially yearbooks). I feel sentimental about so few tangible items: one is my old dog, Brewie's, collar (RIP, big guy! We miss you down here..). Oddly, the other is my original marriage certificate. Half of it is in a small stack on our counter. The rest is working it's way through Hannie's large intenstine. That was a real beagle move. I didn't expect it from a golden.

I got a new one at city hall fairly easily, but it just wasn't the same.

4 comments:

The Blind said...

Wow. At least it was easy to replace.

Anonymous said...

What did you do with the dress? I found a place in Cincinnati that will give you a tax deduction for donating bridesmaids dresses to needy high school prom attendees. I'm so cheap...

M said...

N was taking a graduate photo class & wanted to use me in a wedding dress as her subject last Jan/Feb. So I squeezed into that sucker & she photographed me for what felt like days in the slush/snow covered streets of the city in freezing weather. the photographs are cool, but i look terrible because i didn't even shower that day.

M said...

oh, so my point being- the dress was ruined by the slush in the streets. nobody would want it. and it was also like a super heavy dress that took up a ton of space in our apartment. i do feel kind of bad... but, i mean, really... what would i have done w it????