Ya know how if you've been sitting around doing nothing (including internet/TV) for an extended time period, the mere idea of getting up sends you right back to bed?
I used to have this feeling every day at work. To the extent that it was hard to cruise any website that actually required the use of my brain. Sadly, facebook and myspace surfing took up a lot of my time. I think these two facts are indicative of the usefulness of this sh*t- not very. I've often griped that I don't *need* to know what random high school classmates are up to- and a large part of me feels that I shouldn't. I should focus either on my own relaxation, bettering myself in some way, or things that generally matter. This is just gossip.
I'm strugging getting rid of my myspace (I tried to many times a long time ago, but I no longer use that email addy- so I have to go through a process where I take my picture holding some sort of sign and email it to them). Re: Facebook. Harder, as there are 5 people on there that I like to be in contact with- I'm in contact w 'em in real life too- but I enjoy facebook banter, etc..
And then there are the other 246 people (I realize this number is small by facebook standards). Dude. I am not friends w 246 people. 246 people don't amuse me. 246 people probably don't like me. I don't have their emails/phone numbers. I don't even know some of them anymore. And I *definitely* don't f*cking care what they're up to. I envy the people with, like, 30 friends. They can be so much more flexible with their postings, pictures, etc... Example: I'm not sharing my new house with these people, nor am I posting pregnancy pics, or many weddings pics. At most, they can stare at my beagle. How disturbing is it when you forgot to sign out of facebook chat & then some dude from high school starts chatting you up. That was the last time I ever forgot to sign out of that sh*t. I hate facebook. I would erase my page and start anew, but I feel bad rejecting people.
There ends my mid-August weekly rant.
Today my mom & gma were to come up to see my house & eat lunch, etc... but then my step-dad asked if he could come. I was kind of bummed, since (a) he can be really annoying, (b) I don't like talking trash on people in front of him because he's untrustworthy, (c) I don't particularly like or care about his opinions, which is mainly because (d) his use of reason is often skewed. He also lies. I may have written about this on another blog, but my brothers and I noticed that he's started to rewrite history. They're just little things, but incorrect and somewhat damaging nonetheless.
Example: While at the beach, he told me that my 8 year old nephew's mom drank during her pregnancy. I told him this wasn't true. He said it was. So I then asked my mom in front of him and she was like, 'Absolutely not. She didn't even take Tylenol or drink coffee.' He sort of backtracked, but I wasn't through. I then told my brother (my nephew's dad). He was really pissed at the mere suggestion & said that my step-dad wasn't even around during that period and that, even if she DID drink, HE- of all people- wouldn't have been "in the know."
That's a pretty f*cking serious accusation, ya know? That a$$hole has balls. Chilling w someone who never has his/her facts straight is a liability. So pardon me for not jumping w joy.
My other (and final) gripe: we got a new deck because our old one had termite damage (member?). Anyway, he is CONSTANTLY telling me how lucky I am because "it could've been really disastrous and expensive" and we should really have done XYZ, BLAH BLAH MOTHERF*CKING BLAH. dude, I know. I thank the good Lord every day that the worst case scenarios don't happen to me! I mean, yesterday I could've been hit by a drunk driver on my way home from Target- and that would really suck. But it didn't happen, so let's just drop it, eh? Combined w my in-laws (after telling me she wouldn't watch my kid, my MIL asked me about daycares. When I told her I liked daycare X, she started listing off the crime in that area. Umm.... thank you for your help?) and J (convinced we have the world's most serious and expensive mold problem)- I'm surrounded by a sh*tload of Debbie Downers. Man, the company I keep is depressing.
2 comments:
1. I never knew about S-D's lying. Revisionist historians are the worst...especially when the lies are hurtful like that.
2. I hate the amount of time I spend on facebook. Getting rid of myspace was fairly painless, in that the profiles I need are public anyway and the other ones have facebook. But, yeah--I'm one of the most guilty facebook stalkers. it's horrible. And I hate it. My excuse is the reunion, but man--I think after that is done, I should just do a Class of 2000 facebook page. The one thing I refuse to join: TWITTER. It's everything that's wrong with the world.
he just recently started doing this - within the passed 6 months or so. my older bro first experienced it and warned me about it. i don't think he realizes that... we were there too. children/teenagers/adults have MEMORIES.
yeah, myspace is bullsh*t. i'm pissed i can't just delete it. i refuse to join twitter as well, mainly bc it seems so invasive. but at lesat there would be an opportunity to add friends anew. not your first grade lunch table.
Post a Comment