Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Amsterdam: Part 2

Having trouble focusing, so I thought I'd write about something until my coffee kicks in....

The Amsterdam story that falls on the opposite end of the spectrum (the spectrum that isn't fun to remember):

So my dear N generously purchased me tix to Amsterdam in December, after our respective study abroad programs ended. I was so psyched. N lived with a litter of girls in a flat in London & they were all coming a day later. We were psyched we'd have one day without the commotion of a ton of girls. Then her annoying roommate Katie from Minnesota decided that she would come early as well. Katie was severely anorexic & short & had scabs all over her body & was losing hair- ya know the type? She also would never shut up. Just one of those nice, but really annoying people. She met this British coke addict & started a nightly cocaine habit with him. All we could think was: "Who WANTS to stay up all night and listen to this biotch babble?????" We were pretty bummed she was infringing on our private hang out time.

Nonetheless, we had a few hours without her, so we were stoked. We bought mushrooms & took them. It was then time to meet up with Katie. The cabs in Amersterdam are these sweet Mercedes with fluffy leather interior. When Katie jumped in, she immediately started gabbing away & N and I look at each other knowingly & start busting up. I haven't laughed this hard since- tears were literally streaming down our cheeks. Katie states, 'I want to laugh like that with you guys!' This made us laugh even harder. Not a chance, girl.

Anyway, we found her mushrooms & she kept yelling, "They're not working! They're not working!" And generally freaking out. We went back to our hotel room & they are DEFINITELY working for N & I, so to hear her screaming how hers weren't working was literally the last sound on the earth we wanted to hear.

I try to divert her attention for a moment & said, "Do you need cigarettes? Let's walk & go buy you some." So I take her by the arm and we exit our hotel room (We stayed at the Apple Inn, by the way). About 5 steps later I feel her arm sort of drop. I thought nothing of it- until I realized she was falling. Her head cracked against the very hard wall and she drops like a ton of bricks (or maybe, like, 4 bricks- she's anorexic remember?). I glance down at her in the dark hallway & her eyes are open & her mouth is agape, but it is evident that nobody is home.

I said to N, "Stay with the body! I'm going to get candy." (Candy brings you down from shrooms). By the looks of it, though, I knew she was in no position to be sucking on a piece of candy. I realized we would be those girls who took mushrooms while studying abroad w this girl when she died. We'd be on the news, legends, etc...I knew in my heart of hearts that she was dead.

I dash to the front desk & say, "Can you please call 9-1-1?" He looked at my like I was crazy- he spoke no english & Amsterdam doesn't have 9-1-1. I realized this & then stated, "CANDY. Do you have CANDY? Sugary stuff?" He shook his head. There was a mirror behind him. It was at this moment that I saw KATIE walk by behind me through the reflection in the mirror. Katie made eye contact with me & angrily pointed to the door as if to say, "Let's go NOW." N is following behind her & we make eye contact in the mirror. N is wide-eyed & as freaked out as me. She shrugged & followed Katie. I felt like the devil had entered her body, now posing as Katie (I was on drugs, keep in mind) & the LAST place on earth I wanted to be was stuck in a hotel room in the middle of the night w this devil-infested motor mouth. But N & I had no choice. I followed them outside in complete disbelief.

I don't remember what happened when I got out there- I feel like I told her she just died. She had no recollection of what just happened. I felt her head & there was a bump the size of a cantelope. I told her she had to eat something- that I don't mind if she's anorexic but she's not dying on my watch. Like a true anorexic, she refused. I understand the concept of eating disorders & wanting to lose weight, etc... But I feel as though she took it to a whole new level. Can you imagine? Being THAT anorexic that after nearly dying- or at least passing out in such a way that you slammed your head on a cement wall, and you STILL won't eat?

That night, N & I shared a double bed & Katie had the single. N & I hadn't had the chance yet to go over wtf happened. So we were writing on each others' legs in the dark comments like, "OMG." "Can you believe that?" "I thought she was dead," etc... All the while, Katie kept saying things like, "I can't sleep!!! Guys, I feel all alone over here! Are you whispering?!!" Complete. Nightmare.

Suffice it to say, she pretty much ruined our trip. What an ass.

No comments: