I'm pretty sure I told this story on a blog of yore, but I'm not sure. And anyway, it's too interesting (according to me) to waste.
So summer of '07, I was an extern for a judge. The judge ruled- very nice, professional, smart- quite the lady. Her secretary/right-hand man/gatekeeper? Not so much. Her name was Maria and she was a vicious b*tch. There were 2 other externs: an asian kid & a gay kid. I'm still friends w both of them to this day (more so the gay kid though). The judge also had 2 clerks, who were alright.
Anyway, the asian kid was super super nice & way less generally offensive than the gay kid. But it became clear to me that one clerk HATED the asian kid. I can't think of any other reason than that she's racist. But, I mean, who hates asians???? I love asians! They're typically the nicest & the brightest. So I was always baffled by her seeming disdain for the asian kid. She was kind of rough around the edges, though, so I chalked it up to that. One time she said something to me like, 'I loved X law school (same law school as asian kid)- I used to drink at X,Y,Z Bar. But, uhh.., I don't think [asian kid] has that much fun in law school.....' But asian kid was a huge lush! Out all of the time!! So I was kind of confused as to where she was getting her info...
Anyway, asian kid also happened to ask a lot of questions, which Maria (judge's right hand man) didn't like. I sensed Maria's nice facade from the moment I met her & steered very clear. But not asian kid- if he had a question? He'd ask. A problem? He'd bring it up. A comment? He'd say it. I knew he was committing some serious mistakes.
The other thing was, though, that asian kid would sleep on the job. But the judge & her homies never knew this. He was also obviously on AIM all the time. He'd wake up from a nap and say, "Ya know what? I'm glad I took that nap. I feel a lot better."
Long story short, asian kid was fired right before the 4th of July- from an UNPAID POSITION. This is humiliating and damaging to one's career. I felt really bad when he called me to tell me. I guess word had gotten around to the judge that he was creating hostilities in chambers. I think it was discrimination.
The judge always told us there was no time limit on assignments, but I guess he worked on the same assignment for months- apparently there WAS a time limit.
RIP, asian kid. I hope you got a job somewhere & they didn't ask you about your 1st year summer experience.
No comments:
Post a Comment