Monday, July 20, 2009

Pre-Judging

I've done more pre-judging in my life than I am proud of. What I struggle with lately, though, isn't prejudging the less or more fortunate, but prejudging the materialistic.

I am certainly not NOT materialistic. I own a disgusting amount of clothing- both designer and non designer. I also use both expensive and cheap make up, and wear both expensive and payless shoes (I have really cute black patent leather peep toe heels from Payless I bought last summer). But I've been perusing blogs lately in my quest to fail the bar, and I keep coming upon this blog genre more akin to "Real Housewives for XYZ City" and less akin to anything I prefer to read (funny stories or random updates of people's lives or not funny stories about people's lives, etc... ). The women are certainly attractive- but they're botoxed, obsessed with Lilly Pullitzer and J.Crew., post pictures of themselves in bikinis - and I immediately deem them to be worthless, dumb chicks who lack souls and wish they were about 10 years younger than they really are.

And this really isn't fair. Because I don't know them, and they could read my blog and immediately label me as some ex-drug addict with a foul mouth (which is the opposite of what I am... I hope. haha)- it's just that college stories amuse me and I want to write them down before I forget them (and then lock them away so my future children.. or the cops.. don't use it against me in the future). Moreover, I like Lilly and Jcrew as well. I just opt not to take photos of my shopping sprees- partly becuase I haven't had one in like forever and partly because I guess clothing isn't my passion. And, lastly, I must confess that I do talk clothes w a few choice friends who I share a taste in clothes with- perhaps that's the most f*cked up part!!!

Anyway, I'm going to stop prejudging women w a passion for horrible chick lit, botox, and Lilly Pullitzer. Because they're people too. And I would totally get plastic surgery if I had the time/cash/strong desire. And I love a Lilly dress as much as the next worthless dame. So I'm nothing but a hypocrite.

But, to be honest, I wouldn't blog about it- I wouldn't post pictures of myself all made up and pretending that the photo I posted isn't like the best picture of 70 practice shots, and I sure as hell don't want my kids to grow up with a mom who sends the message that physical beauty is the end all, botox is a given, and it's proper to post half naked pics of yourself on the internet.

See? I'm judging already. D*mn. To each his own.

No comments: