A week from today I will be finishing up the last portion of the bar exam. As per usual, I'm dreading today becuase of the 3000 notecards I must memorize.
Once I took a road trip to St. Louis w my NYC Friend, T. She had this friend in the army who said that the army would pay for every single travel expense we had (so long as we had a receipt)- all to bring his car to him at the base in St. Louis. Then the army would pay for our flight back home. We were unemployed & broke- we were in. T picks up Joe's truck on Long Island somewhere & I vaguely recall her picking me up at my mom's house. I must've had my little brother's wedding or some other family event that I don't care to remember. The car was this enormous bronco.
This trip was delightful. We stayed in a really nice hotel in Pittsburgh and then I believe we stayed in a really nice hotel in Ohio (taking our time). I know we went to a really fancy dinner. At gas stations, we would purchase those dumb little souvenirs from the counter if we felt like it. I got a flip flop necklace. We also got an atlas. And tons of snacks. We got sad when we were full and didn't want anything- because we had so many options! T spilled gas on her dress.
When we finally came upon that arch, I was amazed at how shiny and cool it looked. I always thought, "St. Louis. Yawn." But I was excited to see it & it'll probably be the last time I'm ever there. We toured the army base & went out drinking in some small town hick bar (the best kind) with all these army dudes about to deploy or just returning from deployment. J gets disgusted by this story because he's convinced that I was like randomly making out w the entire army (He has such faith in me!!). But at that point, I had grown way out of my random making out phase- so nothing at all happened. But everyone was so celebratory- and we were treated so wonderfully because they hadn't seen girls in, like, forever. It was the first bar I've been to where there was slow dancing- it was awesome.
The next day we flew back to NYC. We were randomly searched at the airport. T had her freaking glass bowl w her. I told her to throw that thing away & it wasn't worth it. When she refused, I told her I wanted no part in it. You wouldn't believe the set of balls on this girl- calm cool collected, she struts right over to the security guard to be patted down. The mere knowledge of this bowl petrified me. She wasn't caught. I still can't believe it to this day.
1 comment:
This is the trip that made you randomly appear in my office. That was the weirdest thing ever.
Post a Comment